located in the Southern key economic zone, Binh Phuoc province is a gateway connecting Central Highland and HCMC with Cambodia. “Our strength lies on large & clean land fund ready for investment. Besides, we have a completed traffic-industrial-commercial-service infrastructure system plus attractive investment preferential policies to boost industrial development and investment attraction”, said Chairman of People’s Committee of Binh Phuoc province Nguyen Van Tram in a recent interview with Journal of Entrepreneurial Culture.
How do you evaluate the picture of socio-economic development of Binh Phuoc in 2016 – the first year of the 5-year plan of socio-economic development (2016-2020)?
In the context of continuous changes of regional and international economies including price fluctuation of key products (pepper, pork, etc.), slow recovery of rubber price, complicated weather conditions, off season rain, cyclones, diseases, etc. causing bad impacts on production yield, despite all of these, Binh Phuoc has achieved positive results in socio-economic development with stable macro-economic growth, inflation under control, some typical results include:
A total GRDP in 2016 increased by 6.6% (compared to 6.5-7% as of the plan), of which industry-construction increased by 10.5% (8% as of the plan), service of 10.67% (6.5% as of the plan), agriculture-forestry-fisheries increased by 0.36% (5,4% as of the plan) compared to 2015. GRDP per capita reached VND 42.1 million, up 5.5% compared to 2015. Total State budget revenue in 2016 reached VND 4, 150 billion, equal to 104$ of the adjusted target. Total budget spending reached VND 7, 119 billion. To domestic investment, Binh Phuoc, in 2016, has issued 110 investment policies and certificates of investment registration worth VND 6, 700 billion, up 100% compared to 2015 in number of projects and up 25% in number of registered capital. To FDI attraction, the province has attracted 20 projects worth US$ 65.9 million. Accumulative to end of 2016, Binh Phuoc has attracted 154 FDI projects with total registered capital of US1, 135 million. To business development, in 2016, there were about 728 newly established enterprises with total registered capital of VND 4, 074 billion, up 8.6% compared to 2015.
In order to create clean land fund for investors, the province, in 2016, has started construction of Becamex Binh Phuoc Industrial Park, Sikico Industrial Park, spiritual and ecological tourism projects, etc.
Could you please summarize the achieved results of Binh Phuoc in implementation of State Administrative Reform Plan (2011-2010)?
We have focused on doing a good job in strengthening administrative reform, reducing unnecessary procedures including: cutting unnecessary procedures to create favorable conditions for investments in compliance with the law; implementing modern interconnected door mechanism amongst related units such as business registration, Tax, Customs and Public Police. Specifically, business registration unit will be acted as a key contact for coordination of other units to support investors to complete initial investment procedures. On a regular basis, the province has been updating and adjusting new regulations ensuring compliance with investment law and related regulations to outline investment preferential policies further attract foreign and domestic investors. The province’s investment preferential policies are considered as a key factor for solving investment procedures, tax incentives, land rental, etc.
Binh Phuoc has issued and made publicly list of projects calling for domestic and foreign investment in the period of 2017-2020 in accordance with Decision 1794/QD-UBND dated July 25 2017.
Regarding to process of solving investment related administrative procedures, it is a commitment of Binh Phuoc province to reduce 1/3 of time of solving administrative procedures as stipulated. Specifically, time of solving administrative procedures related to issuance of investment policies is reduced to 12 working days (35 working days as stipulated).
What key economic sectors are expected to make breakthrough in the coming time and what are the province’s policies to boost as well as attract investment in these sectors?
In order to improve efficiency of investment attraction, Binh Phuoc has made efforts to create the best favorable conditions to call for foreign and domestic investment; making publicly investment preferential policies; prioritizing projects using advanced technology with energy efficiency or projects employing local labor; hit-tech projects; organic agriculture, clean industries. The province says no to projects with high risks of causing environmental pollution or not to exchange economic growth for polluted environment. It is expected by 2020, Binh Phuoc has successfully attracted investment in accordance with Decision 174/QD-UBND dated July 25 2017 of People’s Committee of Binh Phuoc province
People’s Committee of Binh Phuoc province is now directing the implementation of synchronous policies to support investors and enterprises including:
– Mobilizing all resources to build a complete technical infrastructure network, strengthening land clearance to create clean land fund for investors
– Strengthening administrative procedure reform, reducing unnecessary procedures
– Making publicly investment encouragement and preferential policies, policies for promoting development of cooperatives
– Establishing Binh Phuoc Business Development Association, Binh Phuoc Startup Fund to play the role of linking bridge between local authorities and enterprises, presenting the determination of accompanying enterprises; organizing monthly contacts and dialogues to study difficulties and to timely remove them for enterprises.
What will Binh Phuoc do to successfully achieve the goal of fast and sustainable development?
In order to mobilize all resources to attract investment for socio-economic development, Binh Phuoc has been implementing some strategic solutions including:
– Completing infrastructure system: Binh Phuoc has no 08 industrial parks with infrastructure system completed and operated with a total area of 1, 194 hectares (occupation rate of 70%). Hoa Lu Border Gate Economic Zone (bordered with Cambodia and convenient for connecting with Laos and Thailand) has a total of 28, 364 hectares (3, 580 hectares put into operation). The zone now ready for receiving domestic and foreign investment. As of the plan by 2020, the province will have 13 industrial parks with total area of 4, 686 hectares. In addition, Binh Phuoc is now building infrastructure for Sikico Industrial Park at Hon Quan District (655 hectares) and Becamex Binh Phuoc industrial and residential area (4, 633 hectares) with a total investment capital of VND 21, 000 billion. These are 02 modern and large-scale industrial parks with favorable infrastructure systems for investment attraction.
In addition, Binh Phuoc is preparing for approving a master plan for development of industrial clusters till 2025 and a vision to 2030. Accordingly, it is a target of the province to develop 21 industrial clusters by 2020 and 34 industrial clusters by 2030. 02 key projects including Dong Phu Urban-Service-Industrial project and Bu Gia Map Economic and Eco-Tourism project are under consideration. Once approved, these will become ideal investment destinations.
– Traffic infrastructure: As of the plan, most of industrial parks in Binh Phuoc are located alongside National Road 13, 14 and DT 741. These roads are now upgraded and expanded to 04-06 lanes which are convenient for transport. In addition, it is a policy of Binh Phuoc to seek financial support from Central Government and other sources like ODA, etc. Especially, the province also focuses on calling for investment under form of Private-Public Partnership (PPP) and socialization to boost development of infrastructure network (traffic, power, communications, etc.) to link Binh Phuoc with Southern key economic zone or Binh Phuoc with Central Highland and Cambodia, Laos, etc.